Sunday, October 19, 2008

The first posting

Greetings, and welcome to my blog. I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but given the fact that I've moved countless times in my adult life, I have a certain amount of experience in both moving and paradise. So when my Dear Heart(DH) and I committed to moving from the East Coast to Oahu, I thought I knew what we were getting into. Do you hear that big, loud buzzer drowning me out?

You might think, well, what could be wrong? And on one level, you'd be right. What could be wrong with living in a place where the temperature hovers between 70 and 85 degrees on most days? Where you can see rainbows and waterfalls on the commute to work? Where one of the most beautiful beaches in the world is just a 10 minute drive?

On the other hand, there are so many differences here. Not that these things are wrong, but they are definitely different and often quite unexpected. On the good side, the drivers here are immensely more polite than those on the East Coast. They will actually wait for you to merge onto the highway, rather than speeding up to cut you off. On the less-than-good side, there are bugs. This is the tropics, remember? Fleas, roaches, and centipedes have all made very successful adaptations to the Hawaiian climate. Lovely.

At any rate, my plan is to explore the changes and differences encountered by a woman of a certain age, her DH, and their elderly cat upon transplanting themselves to Oahu in the fall of 2008.

Enjoy!

No comments: