Friday, November 21, 2008

Christmas in July

I know, I shouldn't be complaining about the weather, but it just doesn't feel like Christmas is coming, even though one of the local radio stations is already playing all Christmas all the time. How can we sing about Frosty the snowman and frightful outside weather when the temperature is 75?

My mind is having trouble getting the message. I'm used to external clues, like changing leaves and crisp morning air. I'm thrilled that it's finally chilly enough to wear long sleeves and disappointed when I need to peel down for the 80 degree afternoon. We are starting to get a lot more rain, just like November in New England, but that just makes the afternoons muggier. I want ice and slippery sidewalks and scraping the windshield in the morning. You can't pacify me with rainbows and waterfalls during the morning commute. It's just not right for the weather to be so beautiful! I want gray skies, naked trees and bone-deep shivering that won't warm up without hot chocolate and marshmallows.

Okay, so I'll have to remember that Christmas is a state of mind and embrace the incongruities of fake pine boughs and plastic snowmen next to orchids in the supermarket. There is one thing that helps me to adjust. A few years ago I visited Maui and saw an incredible red hedge running along the boundary of a big estate of some sort. When I got closer I realized that it was poinsettia bushes, about six feet tall, brilliant crimson and stretching out almost as far as I could see. Now that's looking like Christmas and is something that you'll never see in New England or Maryland!

1 comment:

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.